Emergency Call for Volunteers!
*** SIGN UP DEADLINE IS WED, 9/10/2008 at 4pm CST ***
*** Please see contact info below ***
As many of you are probably aware
of, Hurricane Ike will likely make landfall in Texas over the weekend.
OneStar’s role in Emergency Management stipulates that, in times
of disaster, we are the administrators for the Texas statewide donations management call
We are asking you to check in with
your AmeriCorps State, National, VISTA or NCCC members, AmeriCorps Alumni,
Corps, RSVP, HandsOn Central Texas or
other volunteers in the Austin area that would be interested in volunteering as call center operators. We understand that this is a very
busy time for everyone and that this email necessitates a quick turn-around but
at this time we need to gather a list together of people who are interested and
available in volunteering, if the call center is activated. The minimum
requirements for a volunteer are:
- Time availability to attend a volunteer training (date,
time, and location below)
- Time availability to volunteer for the call center
during specified shifts (shifts listed below)
- Located in the Austin area (The call center will operate
out of the OneStar Foundation office at 816 Congress Avenue
Suite 900 .)
Timeline for how this will work:
- Now through Wednesday at : Organizations/Individuals submit SEND AN E-MAIL to email@example.com
with the following info:
Volunteer name, organization (if applicable), e-mail, phone number & available
times for any dates Sat Sept 13th – Sat Sept 20th,
- Wednesday, September 10 (late afternoon or early
OneStar will contact volunteers with details on the training.
- Thursday, September 11, : OneStar holds mandatory
web-based training. Volunteers must indicate preference on attached
spreadsheet and can attend this mandatory training one of the following
- OneStar Foundation office at 816 Congress Avenue, Suite
- Virtually (webinar) – access
to phone and computer with internet is required.
- Thursday, September 11 (and ongoing): After attending the
training, volunteers will be assigned shifts based on availability.
- Friday, September 12 (and ongoing): OneStar notifies
volunteers of status of call center activation
- Saturday, September 13 – Saturday, September 20: If activated, this is the
timeframe for volunteers to be available to work shifts at the call
Once the call center is activated, shifts will be:
With current estimates, we believe
that six volunteers for each slot will be sufficient to handle the call volume.
Volunteers are not required to be associated with
OneStar (or our grantees). If you think you know someone who may be
interested in volunteering, feel free to pass this on to them. We
only ask that they indicate how they became aware of this volunteer
opportunity in the body of the email response.
If you have any questions please
contact Anna Thiele (512-287-2016 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Thank you so much for your
Service and Volunteerism
OneStar Foundation: Texas Center for Social Impact