This leap year, we're taking advantage of the extra day to celebrate our Lifetime of Service. Here at the National Office, we had a very busy month; from preparing for AmeriCorps Week to highlighting the reasons why you should date an AmeriCorps Alum, we're spreading our love for our Alums and your service.
As we prepare for the next month, we'll need Alums to come out and represent during AmeriCorps Week! Having served and continuing onto successful professional trajectories, we can show current members and the rest of the country how AmeriCorps Works in our lives. We wear our AmeriCorps gear with pride because we know that the service we committed made impact that is felt long after our service is over.
This AmeriCorps Week, show the country how AmeriCorps Works to solve some of the most pressing challenges of our time by celebrating how National Service continues to make our nation stronger.
Last Chance to Apply For the Eli Segal Award
Since his death in 2006, Eli Segal's spirit of service has been embodied by the community impact made by the more than 700,000 current and alumni members of AmeriCorps. To celebrate his legacy, AmeriCorps Alums, Points of Light's national network for all AmeriCorps national service alumni, annually awards the prestigious Eli J. Segal Entrepreneurship Award.
This year, the award will honor two outstanding AmeriCorps Alums who demonstrate the essence of citizen service that Eli so well embodied. This isthe highest honor awarded by AmeriCorps Alums. Along with lifetime membership in the Eli J. Segal Citizen Leadership Program, winners will also receive $5,000 to be used to continue their citizen leadership efforts and/or community initiative, and be recognized at a special AmeriCorps Alums event.
If you or someone you know is an AmeriCorps Alumni with the entrepreneurial vision and leadership to create change, we encourage you to share your story.
Applications for the award are due by Feb. 29, 2012.
AmeriCorps Week 2012
With AmeriCorps Week quickly approaching, AmeriCorps Alums is actively partnering with CNCS to help celebrate how AmeriCorps Works throughout the country. Here are the key areas AmeriCorps Alums will be concentrating on:
- AmeriCorps Week Events – We anticipate our national network of chapters to engage in specific AmeriCorps Week activities and programs. These local events range from AmeriCorps Night at the minor league hockey rink, to community service projects, to outreach as mentors to current AmeriCorps members. Through AmeriCorps Week Events, you can find an event or register your own for others to sign up for.
- "AmeriCorps Works Here” – With our photo storytelling campaign, Alums will take pictures at their place of current employment to demonstrate the diversity of career paths and instances of leadership that Alums are pursuing. These photos will be shared through our social media properties (primarily Facebook and Twitter) as a way to profile the diversity of AmeriCorps alumni after their service year. Click here for further instructions.
- AmeriCorps Online Townhall - Titled, "Inspirational Pathways of Service and Leadership”, this Townhall will take place on Tuesday March 13th from 3 to 4:30PM ET. AmeriCorps Alums will host a webinar featuring a townhall-style conversation with Five AmeriCorps alumni, who have followed five different career paths from their service year. Click here for more information and to register for the webinar.
Join Us at the 2012 National Conference on Volunteering and Service!
Early registration for the 2012 National Conference on Volunteering and Service is now open. We hope that you will plan to join us in Chicago as the Conference has become the largest and most impactful event for the service sector, bringing together more than 5,000 leaders committed to creating change. The 2012 National Conference on Volunteering and Service, convened by Points of Light, will be held in Chicago, June 18-20.
AmeriCorps Alums are eligible for a discounted Conference registration rate. To register, go to the registration website and click the "Register Now” button. Enter your last name and email address and select "Points of Light Member” as your registration category and "AmeriCorps Alum” as your subcategory.
Attendees can complete general conference registration now, and beginning in March, will have the opportunity to register for specific workshops and activities.
To make hotel arrangements, you must first complete registration and then you will be prompted to reserve your hotel room at one of the five hotels in downtown Chicago that offer discounted conference rates.
Hasbro Community Action Hero Award
Alums, do you know a young person between the ages of 5 and 18 who has done remarkable community service in the past 12 months?
The Hasbro Community Action Hero Award recognizes outstanding young volunteers who show that you are never too young to make a difference in your local or global community. Hasbro Children's Fund and generationOn will celebrate five young people between the ages of 5 and 18 for their extraordinary community service and volunteer activities at a special recognition event in New York City and award each winner a $1,000 educational scholarship.
GenerationOn will accept nominations for the Hasbro Community Action Hero Award beginning on February 20, 2012 through 5pm EST on Tuesday, March 2, 2012.
Beginning on February 20, nominations can be entered here.
Nominees must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in school (grade K-12) and age 5-18 at time of nomination
- Be a resident of the 50 United States or District of Columbia
- Be available to travel for a special, expense-paid, trip to New York City in late Spring
Download the flier hereto share this information with others! Meet last year's Community Action Heroes here.