Faxing in a handwritten note about the value of HR 6407 is another great way to garner the support of your Congressman. The letter can be short and sweet, but should be handwritten. Click here for examples, andfor added impact, please add this Dear Colleague letteras part of your fax. Below you will find a few pointers for sending over a successful fax.
- Introduction: Begin by identifying yourself by name, and let the staff representative knowthat you are a constituent of the district.
- Be concise and to the point: Be clear that you are writing regarding HR 6407(the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award Tax Relief Act.)
- Make the ask:Be sure to ask that your Congressperson co-sponsor HR 6407.
- Communicatethe logic behind the ask: Add one or two reasons why HR6407 makes sense. Feel free to add why this is personally important to you (perhaps that it will cost you $xxxx amount of dollars in taxes if the bill is not passed)
- Provide the necessary next steps to the staff representative: Let the office know that if they agree to co-sponsor the bill, Democrats should contact Brendan Devine in Congressman John Lewis' Office at 202.225.3801, and Republicans should contact Ryan Temme in Congressman Jon Porter's office at 202.225.2352.
- Report the results: Please e-mail Greg Heinrich at firstname.lastname@example.org and let AmeriCorps Alums know 1) what Congressperson you faxed your letter to and 2) if you have heard anything regarding their sponsorship of the H.R. 6407.